10 year anniversary




This is a celebration of 10 years of marriage. Our actual anniversary collapsed in on us and we unintentionally spent it apart.  So, this is trying again. A day late. This is a tangible display of striving. A broken tape dispenser, pictures refusing to stick to the wall, hurried reminiscing cut and pasted to the back of each photo, it was a race to finish before he got home. In an effort to force my perspective to shift from frustration to gratitude, I combed through every photo of our past year together. I set aside the moments he loved, supported, and was patient with me. I felt humbled as hundreds of memories poured in, each photo linked to a deeper story. A vast lake made from rain drops of the same narrative, repeated thousands of times.  Damon is a good man, who loves, supports, and chooses me. 





As we flipped over each photo to read what I'd written, the children trickled in.  Soon the quiet reconciliation was alive with jumping, giggles, wrestling, (and maybe even some listening). I wonder if the kids will remember (and what they will remember) as they are invited to join in the moments like this between Damon and I.  It would have been much calmer without them, and there are plenty of times they are not invited to the party. But to see their excitement and to hold hope that they glean something from our example in their own lives felt too precious to shut out. 



The following are the photos from the wall.




You are a pillar in the chaos of our family’s emotion. You work hard to provide and have grown so much not only professionally but profoundly in your abilities that bless our home and your career.   


a soft calm place for Finn to fall when I don't have space for him 


as tension and feelings ran amuck with Indie and I, you gave our family a second chance at fun


attending to small mundane details with tenderness


baptizing Indie and saying prayers every night is such a comforting example to me


bearing the weight of the small children I don't want to at any and all events with grace  


behind every Hadfield baby in the bath there is a Damon 


behind every picture of our family is a Damon supporting my vison 


bringing light and ease to so many situations


bringing me cabbage leaves 


building this green chair and then supporting me in nursing and switching chairs 


Calvary when my day has drained me and the children need tenderness (2) 


Calvary when my day has drained me and the children need tenderness (2) 


Calvary when my day has drained me and the children need tenderness (2) 


You clean up the dirt off all unruly children


Sharing childhood walks with our children and cultivating a love of the outdoors.  


I love that you are always documenting 


An expert at fire making which will come in handy come survivor season 


indulges with me in the silly Halloween creation


enduring miserable attitude, anxiety and meltdowns with patience and self-control 


ever carrying my desires into tangible outcomes 


Giving the children with what they need and hope for 


hustling to make the water comfortable and enjoyable for our family 


involving children 


juggling exhaustion and mud slides for memories 


no one knows and sits with the weight and the pain that trips and family dynamics can trigger in meyou are fiercely loyal and loving to me in my dark ugly spaces 


on days that are inexplicably hard to get out of bed, you willingly help move the beauty to me 


\patient and loving in my journey of sexual growth 


You do pick me ups with creation


playful


playground hero 


Feeder of babies 


ridiculously capable of tackling new projects 


silent support in small touches and moments 


supportive of my friend relationships 


supportive of my hobbies. One of the first pictures I took with my new camera. Cookies 

supportive, encouraging, enthusiastic about my creative time and outlets 


taking on any and all diapers no matter the sitch


taking on tasks I don't love 


teacher


Tender and patient with my hard spots  


Tender heart and a soft place of love 


That first tea you pushed me to try, that sparked and obsession. You expand me. 


The first photo I chose use for Joy’s course. When I show interest in self betterment there is nothing but love and encouragement from you. Regardless the price. 


The funny guy behind every forced photo 


The muscle behind family trip going smoothly 


The only productive apple picker in this family.  


you are an amazing care taker. You are so selfless and tender and unencumbered by the grueling task of tending unpleasant body functions and persevering hard emotions in the name of health 


You are flexible with your trajectory when I have an idea  


You come home when I call in a panic 


You desire nothing of my body but love and health 


You do the dig deep Dad stuff 


You grow with me 


You have grown me into who I am today 


You hold sacred my need for nature and movement at a moment's notice  


You listen and trust my guidance and choices in letting our children grow as they are 


you listen to me talk SO much about the things I think and feel. 


You run to the store to buy me memory cards, help me fix my camera, and try again when it feels like we've fallen apart


You sacrifice optimal grass for Childhood play time 



You tackle hard topics and listen in sincerity to my heart 


Your willingness to carry the children, with grace, through your errands 


 

Comments

Popular Posts